These Sausage and Pepper Nachos are a spin off of the Italian American classic: Sausage and Peppers, bringing all that delicious flavor to you in nacho form! They’re packed with flavor, easy to make and perfect for game day!
*This post may contain affiliate links. See disclosure for further details.
Sausage and Peppers
Sausage and Peppers is a classic Italian American food. Italian sausage links, green and red bell peppers and onions are cooked in olive oil and served on their own or in a roll. You can find many iterations of Sausage and Peppers throughout Italian American cooking! You might see Sausage and Peppers with pasta, either with or without tomato sauce- which brings us to this recipe: Sausage and Pepper Nachos!
Quick and Easy
These nachos are super simple to make. You'll make a quick and flavorful sauce for the nachos with sausage, peppers, onion, and tomatoes and then layer that sauce with Italian cheeses over the chips. Bake for just a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and then load up the toppings. So easy!
Pickled/Jarred peppers: Giardiniera and pepperoncini give these nachos a a tangy kick that balances the sweetness of the cooked peppers so well. If you can't find giardiniera in stores near you, you can order it online or feel free to swap in your favorite jarred peppers. You can always find giardiniera and other pantry staples in my Amazon Storefront!
Parmigiano Reggiano: finishing these nachos off with a shower of grated parm is the way to go! If you prefer, you can use Pecorino instead.
Fresh basil: You can't go wrong with fresh basil! I love the flavor of the fresh basil on top of the melted cheese. You can also use fresh Italian parsley if you want. If you can't find fresh herbs, just leave them out!
You can use mild, sweet or hot Italian sausage for this recipe. I usually choose mild.
Yes! I know green peppers are polarizing. You can choose whichever color peppers you like best.
You can order giardiniera online (linked above!) or swap in your favorite jarred peppers.
You might also like
Italian Sausage and Pepper Nachos
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Pound ground Italian sausage mild, sweet, or hot
- 2 Red bell peppers diced
- 2 Green bell peppers diced
- 1 Large yellow onion diced
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Can diced tomatoes with green chilies drained
- 1 12 ounce Bag tortilla chips
- 4 Cups shredded Italian cheeses (such as mozzarella and fontina)
- Giarndiniera hot or mild
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Add the sausage to the pot and cook until browned and cooked through; about 8 minutes. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened; 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and the diced tomatoes. Add the sausage back to the pot, stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes until well combined. Season the sauce with kosher salt to taste.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the tortilla chips out in an even layer. Layer the sausage and peppers sauce and the cheese over the chips.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then broil for an additional 1 minute until the cheese is melted, bubbly and browned in spots.
- Top the nachos with giardiniera, pepperoncini, parmigiano, and fresh basil.