These Italian Sausages with Spicy Tomato Sauce and Onions are the perfect cozy meal for when the weather starts to cool off. They are a great choice for an easy and satisfying dinner or game day!
Admittedly, I am not the biggest football fan, but I DO love me some game day food. These sausages are a great option for tailgating! This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a bigger group.
*This post may contain affiliate links. See disclosure for further details.
Of course you don't have to make these sausages for game day. In fact, they are the perfect weeknight meal! Minimal prep work, few ingredients and a fast cooking time make this recipe a no brainer for dinner.
Italian sausage links! Whatever your preference (hot, mild, or sweet) will work for this recipe. I like using mild!
This recipe is so perfect for leftovers! You can simply, reheat and serve the same way as shown above, or you can slice the sausages into smaller pieces and reheat with the sauce and toss with pasta! Yum.
Look for Italian rolls or sausage buns for this recipe! You want something a little sturdier than a hot dog bun to stand up to the sauce.
These sausages can be grilled and then topped with the sauce if you prefer, but I find them to be more flavorful when simmered in the sauce. Just make sure to get a good sear first.
You might also like
Italian Sausages With Spicy Tomato Sauce And Onions
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 Italian sausage links hot, mild or sweet
- 1 Yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 10 Ounce Cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 5 Italian rolls or sausage rolls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmigiano Reggiano grated (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausages and sear on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add onions to the pan and stir, scraping up any brown bits. Cook until onions have started to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato paste and stir to coat the onions. Add the diced tomatoes with chilies and bring to a boil. Return sausages to the skillet, cover, and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer sauce until sausage is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm buns in the oven. Place sausages in warmed buns and spoon spicy tomato sauce and onions overtop.
- Serve with grated cheese, if desired. Enjoy!