Now that holiday season is upon us, it’s time to dive into the best part—food! Isn’t the best part of holiday parties the food? Is that just me? Oh well, here is a recipe for one of my absolute favorite appetizers that will be so perfect for, you guessed it, a holiday party! But, I mean, you can definitely also make them whenever you damn well please.
Anyway, the recipe is super easy, can be done in 20 minutes, AND it involves one of my favorite things—my Italian tuna! I’ve been making tuna this way forever and it’s so delicious! Instead of using tons of mayo, I smash cannellini beans with olive oil and mix that with the tuna! I still use some mayo here but the addition of the smashed beans will help cut down the amount used. I like to leave some of the beans whole and some more roughly smashed which creates a great texture.
For the tuna, it’s important to use tuna packed in oil. It’s much more flavorful—once you start using it, you won’t go back! I like this kind and this one too. The rest of the ingredients add brightness, acidity and little kick. The measurements for these ingredients don’t have to be exact. I’ll give you the measurements I use, but feel free to adjust them to your taste!
A tip: mix the beans and olive oil separately in a large bowl, then add the the tuna and the rest of the ingredients for the tuna. It’s harder to smash the beans when they’re already mixed with the tuna. You’ll be able to make the tuna and pick out a cute serving platter with time to spare while the peppers are roasting! Speaking of the peppers, how cute are they?! I love that they’re all different colors and because of their size, they make a perfect appetizer. It doesn’t hurt that they look really pretty on a plate!
You’ll probably have some extra tuna after making these cute little boats and that’s on purpose! I wouldn’t want you to miss out on next day leftovers! I like to have it on toast or on top of a simple romaine salad. Yum!
The last, and most important thing to remember is, if you guys make these for a party—you have to invite me!
- Tuna Stuffed Pepper Boats
0 MinutesCook Time
20 MinutesTotal Time
- Level: Easy
- Servings: 6
- 2 (4 Ounce) cans of tuna packed in oil
- 1 (15 Ounce) can of cannellini beans, drained
- 20 mini bell peppers, halfed longways
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 3 Tablespoons mayo
- 1-2 Teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Juice from 1/2 lemon plus wedges for serving
- 1/3 Cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup capers, drained
- 1/2 Tablespoon caper juice
- Pinch of garlic powder (optional)
- Flaky salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 375. Arrange the peppers on a baking sheet cut side up. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until softened and starting to brown at the edges.
- While the peppers are roasting, make the tuna mixture. Smash the cannellini beans with the olive oil in a large bowl first and then add all of the ingredients for the tuna and mix together.
- Arrange the peppers on a platter, fill each pepper with the tuna mixture and drizzle with a bit of olive oil if you want, finish with some more fresh parsley and flaky salt!