This chicken is SO JUICY, you’ll freak. This recipe makes 6 drumsticks and it would be totally understandable (and acceptable) if you decide to eat them all yourself.
I love making chicken drumsticks not only because they are delicious, but they’re also so inexpensive! The price makes these a total no-brainer and the flavor will make these a staple in your house.
This is an easy recipe to make. You do, however, need to take some time for marinating and baking the chicken so planning ahead is important. This can absolutely, and should be a weeknight dinner but you’ll have to start marinating the chicken earlier in the day. Get the marinade going before you head to work and when you come home, the chicken is ready to cook! Easy peasy.
Probably the best part of this recipe is the glaze. The good news is, you’ve basically already made it! We’re using the marinade as the glaze so all you’ll have to do is bring it to a boil (to kill any bacteria from the chicken) and let it simmer until it thickens up, which will only take a few minutes. When I was testing this recipe on one of my friends, she was borderline drinking the glaze so I’d say it’s pretty delicious.
Since the chicken itself will be super flavorful and rich, the fresh pepper relish is the perfect accompaniment to lighten things up. The pepper relish is crunchy, tangy, and just a little spicy. So yummy!
One step that’s important not to skip here is the searing! Since these are skin on drumsticks, you’ll need to sear the skin so that it doesn’t become a rubbery mess. Gross. Luckily, that only takes a few minutes in your cast iron pan and then into the oven they go. When those little suckers get out of the oven, brush them with the glaze, serve them up with the pepper relish and there you go!
I can’t wait for you guys to give these a try! If you do make these, let me know how many of them you ate so I don’t feel bad about myself.
- Honey Garlic Drumsticks with Fresh Pepper Relish
3 HoursCook Time
50 MinutesTotal Time
3 Hours, 50 Minutes
- Level: Medium
- Servings: 3
- 6 Skin on chicken drumsticks
For the marinade
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 Cup orange juice
- 1/2 Yellow onion, quartered
- 3 Garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 Teaspoon paprika
For the Fresh Pepper Relish
- 2 (Red or yellow) Bell Peppers, finely diced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Splash of soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper and put the chicken into a zip top bag. Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl, taste and adjust if necessary and then pour the marinade over the chicken and close the bag. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare the pepper relish. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, taste and adjust as necessary and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Pre heat the oven to 400
- Sear the chicken. Remove the chicken from the marinate but DO NOT throw the marinade away. Heat a cast iron pan over medium high heat and sear the chicken until a nice brown crust forms; about 2 minutes on each side.
- Bake the chicken. Position a wire rack over a parchment paper lined sheet pan and lay the drumsticks on the rack. Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 and liquid runs clear when pierced.
- While the chicken is baking, make the glaze. Pour the marinade into a small non stick pan. With a slotted spoon, remove the onions from the marinade and discard. Bring the marinade to a boil and then simmer until it's reached a thick consistency; about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and brush the glaze over each piece. Serve with the pepper relish.